Hosting an Author
planning the perfect A4ED visit
Let's celebrate books! Authors are great allies when it comes to getting kids excited about reading! Having an A4ED event is a real educational opportunity and we know you want the day to be the best it can be. If you have never had an author before, here are some helpful ideas and resources:
What is the cost? Speaking fees and presentations vary from author to author. Every author builds and presents their own unique literacy programs and determines their own speaking fee(s).
But to give you some framework, a visit typically includes 3-4 presentations and costs between $400 and $2000 depending on the author's experience/popularity. Some authors also charge travel fees for visits outside their home area. We have some suggestions if you are looking for funding.
Ask questions. When contacting an author or illustrator that you are interested in hosting, there are several questions you may want to ask:
- What grades do you visit?
- Where are you located?
- If not local, are you willing to travel?
- What is your speaking fee? Travel fees?
- For your A4ED visit, how much of your speaking fee will you donate to conservation? (This is the amount of money your students will be directing through their vote and it should be at least 30% of the full speaking fee.)
- What is included in your speaking fee?
- Number of presentations
- Length of presentations
- Number of students per presentation
- What content do you cover in your presentations?
- Do you offer book sales/discounts and signings?
- Do you have any special requirements?
The bigger the event, the bigger the rewards! The author presents the programs, motivates the kids and usually signs a lot of books. Your highly important job is the preparations. Once you've scheduled someone, keep your A4ED event on track with our Author/Illustrator Visit Checklist. Follow our Seven Steps to Success and Make it Memorable. You're sure to have a fantastic day!